Saturday, May 23, 2009

My First DIY Wedding Project!

Gary and I had already decided who we wanted to stand up for us on our big day when we were down in Mexico. So during our 72 hour quarantine from work* I got down to business on how I wanted to ask my girls to be a part of the wedding. In my pre-engagement browsing of wedding blogs (yep, I'm guilty) I stumbled upon a super cute idea for will you be my bridesmaid cards on Style Me Pretty.


So off to Archiver's I went to buy some cute paper for my project. I hadn't completely decided on colors yet so I bought patterns and colors that I liked and that coordinated well. I made four different cards, one for each of my bridesmaids plus one for my "personal assistant". Each card had four "pages" on the inside, the first three containing a photo and the last containing a personal message from your truly.

Here is the one I made for my Matron of Honor, my lovely sister

Here's what you'll need:



Posterboard
Cardstock in coordinating colors
Glue (make sure you get wrinkle free!)
Paper cutter or scissors
Bone folder
Ruler
Three photos of you and each bridesmaid
Stencils, punches, or die cut machine for letters
Ribbon

And here are the steps:
  1. Mark your poster board with a ruler into 5" x 5" squares. I made mine 5"x20" so when folded, I had four inside squares. There is posterboard out there that comes with lines on it to help you cut a straight line since it will be too long to put into a paper cutter.

  2. Cut poster board into strips and accordion fold at each 5" increment. Use the bone folder to make the creases look pretty

  3. Cut cardstock into 5"x5" squares to and glue them on to cover both front and back of the pages. The card will not fold correctly if you use one solid strip. I used a solid color on the back and saved the patterns for the inside pages.

  4. Glue a picture onto each page in whatever order you choose. You can add backgrounds or other shapes to jazz it up a bit. I used my Cricut to cut out some additional shapes/frames.

  5. For the letter portion, you can hand write it or I typed something up on my computer, printed it and cut it down to a size that would fit. Glue it onto the final page.

  6. Measure a ribbon so that it will fit around the card and tie in a bow when the card is folded and glue it onto the FRONT PAGE ONLY. Leave the rest free so that you can fully open the card.

  7. Cut/punch out the first letter of each girls name and glue it onto the front page.

And there you have it! I also did coordinating envelopes to match, printed out address labels on cardstock that matched the paper on the inside of the card and used my hand dandy Xyron machine to instantly transform them to stickers!





*Both of our companies mandated that we stay home for 72 hours after returning from Mexico to make sure we didn't come down with the Swine...I mean H1N1 flu. Thanks for the extra vacation days!!

No comments: