Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Dress Hunt: Part I

Now that we have our date set, I decided that I should waste no time on finding a dress. I was already freaking out about the lead time it takes to have a dress ordered plus the time it takes for alterations. So I rounded up the important women in my life (minus my big sis who couldn't make it) and planned a day of oohing and aahing over wedding dresses.

My mom, who had to travel for the event, came the night before the big shopping trip. One of the places I had wanted to go was going to be closed on Saturday because of Memorial Day weekend. We decided we would take a quick peak just the two of us to see if they had anything good. This way she could get the crazy "I'm bawling my eyes out because I'm seeing my daughter in a wedding dress for the first time" out of her system without a lot of spectators too.

Note: I am neglecting to post any pictures because I have a rather nosy husband-to-be and I know I couldn't pay him to stay away from reading this...

We headed on over to Diane's Dream Bridal where we were greeted by Diane herself. She was extremely helpful explaining how the dresses were arranged in the store and that I should try on a few of each style to see what type of fit I would like and would look best on me. My mom and I - being the bargain shoppers we are - also selected a few dresses that were close to my size off the sale rack.

After trying on a few, I discovered I absolutely hate mermaid/trumpet skirts although I loved them in all the magazines. I just don't have the hips for that...ladies, you understand that. I also didn't really like ball gowns...it was way too poofy-princess for me. In the end, I had two dresses that were in my "to be considered" pile. They were completely different style of dresses but when it came down to it, one of them definitely looked better on me and I felt better in it. And, to make it even sweeter, the dressI liked was on the sale rack for....$300!!!! Honestly, all prices aside, I liked the sale dress better anyway and since I was buying off the rack, I wouldn't have to lay awake at night wondering if my dress would come in on time!

I didn't purchase the dress that day because I figured I needed to look around a bit and see what else was out there. I had them put the dress on hold for me in case I did indeed want to come back for it....

Up next: The Dress Hunt: Part II and The Choice!

No comments: