Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MMMMM...cake....

I think Gary's favorite part of wedding planning has been cake tasting. I once again hit up a few websites to find local bakers in the area that other brides would recommend. The one thing I knew I DIDN'T want was fondant icing. I prefer butter cream so that was one criteria that helped us narrow down some choices.

The first place we went to try is called Lake's Cakes. Having never been to a cake tasting before, we weren't really sure what to expect. The husband and wife team run their business out of their home so we sat in their living room and sampled about 8 different types of cake and just as many filling flavors. While the cake was YUMMY, I wasn't crazy about the frosting. It was a whipped butter cream and just didn't have very much flavor to it. It tasted a lot like whipped cream to me.

The second place we tried was Gwen's Cake Decorating Etc. She also runs the business out of her home but instead of giving us a small piece of each flavor she offers, she baked us too mini cakes - one chocolate and one vanilla - with two different flavors in each. While the flavors weren't exactly what we were looking for, they were very tasty and the frosting was more to my liking. We booked her on the spot and she agreed to bake us two more cakes for us in the actual flavors we were interested in using on the big day.

Here is Gary and I enjoying our cakes at home...one chocolate peanut butter with peanut butter cream filling and the other spice cake with cream cheese filling. We haven't completely decided on what flavor we will choose but I guarantee it will be delicious!!

No comments: