Friday, January 18, 2008

Don't Ignore Your Signs

You know how sometimes you are given "signs" but you don't realize it until it's too late? That is what I feel like this morning after the nightmare that last night turned into.

Sign #1: My cell phone was dead
Sign #2: I forgot the keys to my apartment
Sign #3: The weather - it was raining & super windy
Sign #4: Gary had to stay late at work

My desire to get all my stuff out and be done moving blinded me. By the time we made it to my apartment it was already 8:30. We packed everything up at were on the road by 10:15. I had my mattress and box spring in plastic bags because I love my nice almost brand new mattress and because it was raining. Well, the wind kept catching the bags and the mattress was flopping around like crazy in the back of the truck. We had to pull over 3 times to try and rearrange things.

I'm behind Gary as we're driving down 696 to make sure nothing falls out. Next thing I know, I look up and my mattress is flying across the highway and lands on the shoulder. I stop immediately but by the time Gary can stop, he is probably 300 yards ahead of me. I run back to where my mattress has landed and somehow I get super-human strength and can drag it back to the Explorer. Gary RUNS back to make sure I'm OK. We're thankful that the mattress didn't hit anyone or anything and didn't cause an accident.

Gary eventually circles back (it's not easy to circle on a major highway). It looks like a few of the bungy cords we were using as tie downs have snapped. We get the mattress loaded back onto the truck and after stopping once more to pick up more bungy cords, we drive 30 MPH the rest of the way home.

Two hours later, we're finally back at the condo. Only to have to unload everything we loaded. By this time, it's 1 AM.

What a night. My poor mattress. Anyone know a good way to clean it?

2 comments:

Brink Boys said...

Yikes, had a great night then!!...I would try some Resolve upholstery cleaner or Oxi Clean

julielsimon said...

Holy Sh*t -- that sounds awful! Good thing its the weekend ... maybe you should hang out with Jim, Jack or Paul's Favorite Jose :-)